Position – Placemaker
15th January, 2018
Position Description – Placemaker
Conditions: Full Time
Reports to: Managing Director / Senior Placemakers
ABOUT VILLAGE WELL
Over 25 years, Village Well has gained an exceptional reputation for facilitating creative and holistic approaches to development and place activation. Village Well is Australia’s leading Placemaking consultancy and we have been influential in the creation of many of Australia’s most iconic and celebrated places. Our small and collaborative team are skilled in urban planning, design and development, community engagement and place management – working with a range of clients including property developers, architects, government agencies and community groups.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Village Well’s Placemakers work together in a collaborative team to provide a range of Placemaking services and projects to government and private sector clients, including research, facilitation, Placemaking advice and strategies. The Placemaker works in a fast paced and dynamic environment with a diverse group of professional colleagues, with the position primarily focused on the successful delivery of high quality projects. This role is responsible for the delivery of Placemaking strategies and projects under the direction of the Senior Placemakers and the Managing Director.
The successful applicant will have a solid understanding of Placemaking practices in an urban development context and will have extensive knowledge and experience of at least one field of Placemaking, for example: urban design, urban planning, landscape architecture, community engagement, economic development, marketing or place management. The successful applicant will need to be flexible to travel interstate for projects.
KEY WORK AREAS
● Conduct in-depth place research on site and via desktop sources, field studies and stakeholder engagement.
● Summarise, analyse and present research in concise and strategic reports and presentations.
● Develop and maintain good working relationships with colleagues, clients and stakeholders via a range of creative and engaging processes and methods.
● Assist in the facilitation of small to large group activities such as meetings, workshops and community engagement events.
● Contribute to Village Well’s social media and marketing.
● Contribute to project updates at scheduled weekly team meetings and contribute to internal project team meetings as needed.
● Manage all aspects of project development and implementation under guidance of senior staff including project planning, monitoring and regular reporting and ensuring that project milestones are completed effectively, within budget and in a time-efficient manner.
● Effectively manage client and stakeholder relationships.
● Promote Village Well’s approach and to further the Placemaking objectives.
● Ensure that all work undertaken and delivered is of a high quality, and meets Village Well’s professional standards.
● Prepare written and illustrated reports.
● Develop and deliver Placemaking advice and strategies that are practical and innovative and represent Village Well’s values.
● Develop and implement Village Well Placemaking processes and methods.
KEY SELECTION CRITERIA
1. Up to 2 years experience, a tertiary qualification and relevant experience in the areas of Placemaking, for example: urban design, urban planning, landscape architecture, community engagement, economic development, marketing or place management.
2. Great communication and interpersonal skills with a collaborative approach to project delivery.
3. Ability to work effectively and efficiently in a fast-paced environment and flexibility to respond to situations that arise at short notice.
4. Strong written communication skills and analytical skills to create exceptional reports and written communication of strategies with high level guidance and support from senior staff.
1. Proficiency or the willingness to learn Adobe Creative Suite, notably InDesign.
2. Understanding of Placemaking, urban planning and urban design approaches, theories and methods.
3. Ability to undertake community consultation and facilitation in a variety of forums and excellent public speaking and presentation skills.
4. Current Victorian Driver’s License.