For over 26 years Village Well has led the movement of (re)connecting people to place. Equity, dignity and access are core to our placemaking process. We have extensive experience developing bespoke placemaking strategies for all sizes and types of developments.
- We put people first in the development and renewal of public spaces.
- We understand the ‘software’ that is needed to make the built infrastructure come to life
- We enable and tap into strong partnerships with independent traders, artists and collaborators
- We enable the connection between design/masterplanning, commercial, socio-cultural & other disciplines
- We spark bold ideas to ensure a unique point of difference
- We ensure a long term vision guides the design and implementation to oversee the entire project and all disciplines
- We facilitate inspiring engagement and collaboration processes
Established in 1992, Village Well launched its services from the eclectic, community owned and managed ‘Ross House’ in Melbourne’s Flinders Lane; a place that inspired hundreds of social, ethical and community enterprises. Village Well is now Australia’s leading creative placemaking consultancy, inspiring the search for renewed meaning, purpose and pride in places.
We have contributed to the activation of Melbourne’s laneways in the early 1990s, seeking affordable studio and office accommodation in the heart of the city, lobbying Council for improvements to streets and services and organising one of the city’s early laneway festivals. Village Well has since been influential in the collaborative creation of many of Melbourne’s iconic places, celebrated places across Australian cities and regional towns and the reimagining of places internationally.
In these two decades, Village Well has refined and developed unique processes of analysis, engagement, innovation, research and project management, tapping into community potential to discover the DNA of a place that informs its future development and use. Village Well have gained a exceptional reputation for a creative and holistic approach to development and the activation of places. Village Well's history and reputation has been built on the strength of knowledge and expertise of our creative and passionate team. Always looking forward and wanting the best outcomes for all, backed by our local and international success, is the Village Well a point of difference.
We develop holistic, strategic and dynamic placemaking processes
We unleash the creative spark and hidden passions in project stakeholder, and encourage a culture of yes to let ideas sing
Our reports, strategies, roadmaps and placemaking frameworks drive economic, social and cultural success
Our placemaking recommendations are creative, tactical and designed for the project team implement with brevity
Falling in love with a city
What makes Melbourne one of the world's most liveable cities?
Globally Recognised Placemakers